Saturday, April 18, 2009

Glue -- A Poem

Glue


The three of us make quite a pair
Me, the third wheel and the glue that solidifies this treacherous partnership
I look at Chase, catch his eye, share a private moment
All the while Lloyd stares at me as if I am a Thanksgiving turkey
He wants to carve my wings
Only I keep him at arm’s lengthHis sharp fangs unable to puncture my neck
Suck my blood, the little parasite
Lloyd and Chase live together in a state of confusion and betrayal
Unable to free themselves of their death grip
I come along
I am the glue
I hold everything together with delicate balancing
Gracefully managing the balance beam
With the perfect dismount
It’s a secret Chase and I share
He’s loyal and kind
Aware of Lloyd’s deceits and insecurities
Endangering trust by taking, takingForging new bonds, he thinks, with someone like me
Or Tim, or Paul, or Kevin, or Whomever
Alliances are tricky
But I am the glue
I keep Lloyd at a safe, not quite respectful distance
For that is a two way street
And he is unaware how cheap and disposable he makes me feel
Like a newspaper barely read, facts unremembered, thrown into the trash
I do not internalize this
I say what I think of him — outright, teasingly
Loathing and enjoying him simultaneously
Because I am the glue
He’s stuck to me, and still I push his paws away
I pledge allegiance
Forbidden kisses, later feeling ashamed, only slight regret
Sometimes I cannot even meet his eyes
Fearing disloyalty I have already committed, easily hurt
Chase, he cares about
Mysterious, subconscious feelings
Yet
It’s Lloyd and Chase
Bonded in their seething hostility and love
Neither one trusting the otherBoth loyal to me, undeservedly
I am the glueI know the full story
Keeping their not so secret desires and platitudes
Within
Under lock and key

No comments:

Post a Comment