Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Summer




Summer

Blistering heat
Humidity sparing no one
Stealing breath
And the air conditioner
Hums my tune
As I sit in front of it
Air spraying cool sunshine
On overexposed pores
The sweat now dissipating
And my brother scowls
Because I am absorbing
Pure delicious coolness
While he sits and sputters
"Move out of the way!"
"We all need to cool off!"
So I step aside
Looking outdoors
Noticing the hyacinth
They don't seem particularly flustered
By unbearable salty heat
In fact
They radiate
Smiling at me
Flirting
Purring
Beckoning me to join them
But I am too smart
To listen to the coo
Of some flattering flower
I stay inside
Lying behind the couch
Just under the slice
Of frosty Heaven
And I hope
That tomorrow
Brings wealthy thunderstorms
Glowering their disapproval
Of that monstrous citrus sun
That has dominated days on end
Making itself felt
Known
Forgiving nothing
But I yearn
For now
The rain will pour
Weeping in sheer delight
While we meager mortals
Thrill
Rejoice
In a cool day
Just one cool day

No comments:

Post a Comment