Monday, February 14, 2011

Parting Glances



Parting Glances

Silently, we face each other
not a thought shared, nor a whispering
wind to cut the tension. Watching you
chew on that muffin, I dig deep
to betray my disgust. Yes, you disgust
me, pretending there is something
worthy, that we are substantially
more than what we have become.

You believe you know who I am, thoughts
blurred in your mind, bending truths
that validate perceptions. Better
to keep your enemies close they say,
whoever “they” are, those magicians
who dance with snake charmers and kiss.
babies. But, you aren't what you say
you are either. Why don't you just admit
it? Let's just have one honest moment,
the moon illuminating your mind,
spilling out the words that need to be heard:

"It's over"!

No pretense, no assertions that I care,
delivering you to your fate, the lion's den,
where you are certain to be the main course.
Your ego would not have it any other way.
You pay the price for your treason,
doused in a vat of spiders immersed
with poison. Naturally, It is not as venomous
as my glare.

You wouldn't notice a dragonfly
if flew into , your eyes, but my presence
is just an apparition, as if I had never occupied
this space with you, no footprints
to be recalled, parting words muffled, invisible,
with your talent to disregard and uncouple.

One day you will look into the heavenly bodies,
feeling spent and alone, all the while wondering
to yourself: "What's that? I recognize that
brightness". Surprise, it has a name:
me!

(C) Michael W. Holland 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment