Friday, May 18, 2012

Confessions of a Drunken Pen




As I perch on this stool, my hand dashing
    across the dancing paper to the vibe
    of bongos and a disco beat -
        I swear the room is spinning -
I dare to say what was tacit,
    the glass of raspberry tinted Pinot Noir ample,
    that crisp taste of melodious nectar
        enticing my tongue to spill succinct truths
        without worry that perhaps there are consequences
        of haphazard words by an inebriated bum.

Heck, it was only two glasses, or possibly four.

I ponder; was the foray of my ex entering
    my life a clandestine opportunity,
    or a desperate ploy to repel me
         from admitting the blatant truth:
         that I was over him long ago?
But, I am enamored by his attention,
    as I consume a another gulp of ambrosia.
    Red flags pop up whenever he is denied
         full immersion in his twisted, frail ego,
         since I can now quickly assimilate
         when the evil beast that lurks
    beneath will make an unwelcome
    appearance. For now, sweet pleasantries
         and charming sentiments are exchanged
         forsaking my normally irritable soul.
The truth is, I still want him on some level,
    his hand caressing my neck sending shivers
         down to the small of my back.

How pathetic, my inner critic challenges!

It’s not my fault that I participate
    in this charade: the alcohol an ether
    to my tethered brain. I assent
    to five more minutes of his gibberish –
         I love you Boo! I am forever yours!
    as I hang up the telephone blaming
    the feeble cell call reception for causing
        the ruckus as I send him a scrupulous text
        rather than requiring that we converse
directly with one another.

I understand it is wrong, just like when I inform
    my roommate that the dress she is wearing
    is a combination of a clown carelessly clad
         in a harrowing muumuu, like a Freddy Krueger
Halloween costume, minus the gloves
    with the razor sharp blades, that I feel certain
    she wishes accompanied the outfit,
         so she could bleed me dry, the reckless victim
              of a cunning werewolf’s snack.

“I am sorry,” I manage to blurt out. “I am immersed
    in my second decanter.” But, she has now scurried
         into the kitchen, a silver mouse on the hunt
              for a mere morsel of stale Swiss cheese
         glaring like a dog with rabies, foaming
         at the mouth with glistening fangs.

I must pull it together before I become a nameless
             face on an obliterated milk carton.

My other housemate hesitantly paces
    outside the kitchen where I have been burrowing,
    like a bristling bear in a cozy cave,
          after opening yet one more bottle
          of enchanting elixir that lingers
    like sour vinegar, surely pickling
          my fingers, toes, and liver.

He is arguing with his partner over an infidelity
    that occurred last summer when they dissolved
          their tryst, and then reunited one weak later,
              a time prior to his residing with me.

“Chris,” he chastises into his phone,
    “you seriously don’t want to quit your job
         as a clairvoyant, and as for us,
               it's over.” Slam!

That is when it all permeates the brain,
    arousing my defective memory,
    as to who this Chris is, that lusty romance
         that lasted three days, and four nights,
         and like a truth serum, the sentences I mutter
    require me to spill my billowing bowels,
         as I blurt out the visceral truth.

It’s the wine, I ponder, leery that another human
    will chance upon my decaying body
    before bloodhounds find me buried
         under the floorboards of the wine cellar,
obscured by the Persian rug in the living room,
    beneath the piano that possesses
    a thousand thunderous, twisted secrets
         of duplicity and blasé confidences,
         that precipitate a crystal clear extinction.

Attribute it to the alcohol, I concede,
    as my final thoughts begin to blur,
         dodging the sharp blade aimed for my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment