Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Inside the Cookie Jar



I peer at these tall things with legs and mouths
                who appear just like me with the exception
        that they use words beyond my comprehension.

Aunt Pink pinches my cheeks. I despise that:
                “Cat got your tongue,” she muses. “He’s adorable
                Nell.” I thought her name was Mommy.
        And no kitty has stolen my tongue. I am confident
        that I would notice should I cough up a fur ball.
                And Fluffy would want her hair returned
                         to her sleek, velvety coat.

Why do these people, they call them adults,
                mutter the most peculiar, flimsy fragments?
        I cannot speak for myself, defend my position,
        as I only know “Mommy” and “Dada.”

I see my mother’s lips moving when suddenly she declares,
                “Well, I told Doreen, there’s no use crying over spilt
                milk . It’s only a dirt stain. It should rinse
                from the garment, don’t you think?”
        When I turn my bottle over, all panic occurs,
        like all went straight to Hell in a hand basket.
                So this “stain” must be pretty serious. I would harrow
                for hours on end. And what’s this about a hand
                         basket, and why send it down to an eternity
                         of fire and brimstone, I peruse in my two year old
                inner voice. See, I can understand perfectly;
                          I just do not possess the required vocabulary
                                   yet to present my case.

Aunt Pink, or Purple, I forget then professes the clincher:
                “Well, that’s the way the cookie crumbles.”
        At that point I clinch and wail. Because I desperately desire
        a chocolate chip wafer from the precious, magic jar
                on the Formica counter top, the special one
                         where all good boys and girls receive a treat
                         for being on their best behavior for displaying
                the most superlative manners, and I have not uttered
                a single word up to this point, even if these “people”
                         are talking in the oddest colloquialisms.

I am certain that I have blown a sumptuous dessert,
                when all of a sudden in front of me, a big bowl -
                         to me that is - of vanilla ice cream is placed
                         before my greedy hands.

“All good babies go to Heaven,” I hear her sigh, followed
                         by large toothy smiles and appreciative grins.
                                  Everyone seems so happy.

Once more I do not follow, and am left on the outside looking in,
                        left in the dark, where monsters lurk and creepy men
                hide beneath children’s beds. I screech once more,
                                  not aspiring to go to this Heaven place;
                        instead I want Papa to clutch me in his big, strong arms
                cooing, “there, there. Nothing is going to scare my little boy”,
                as I embark upon trusting that growing up to be similar
                        these goofs might be just cause for returning to the womb,
                        where it is safe, a haven against the darkness;
                                  from where I an perched, it is blatant that the blind
                                  are leading the blind, and if that is the score
                        then I am better somewhere else, anywhere but here,
                                  where nothing can possibly harm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment