Monday, October 17, 2011

Heart Shaped World




Heart Shaped World

In my heart shaped world
where willow trees and lavender,
whisk away unwanted predators,
where the liquid sky meets the salty sea,

where flying to freedom is possible,
necessary, and where all past hurts
are buried under shattered glass,
I paused to contemplate.

Is it possible, just possible.
to sleep in silken clover,
to propel into a victorious life
without needing to create

a parallel universe? Or would
ice floes carry me out to sea,
drifting aimlessly, forever lost
amongst dense fog and dreary

realities? Is it feasible
to fulfill stifled promises,
and unrealized potential
by living in the now,

or would I fall off
the Earth’s razor sharp edge,
sinking into grimy gargoyles’ glares,
and angry giants’ wrath?

The answer is:
that there is no answer,
and whatever I need to do

to survive,
to thrive,
to stay alive,

that is the true test of persevering
despite false starts,
and it is best not to dwell,

not to stay stuck,
on what could have been,
and begin to trust what can be.

That’s the purest test of endurance,
following my own path,
wherever that may take me,

to dare to take chances,
allowing myself to fall, let go,
and then pick myself up again.

I smell the lilac tree,
push off, feel the tension
of the air, and fly, fly away.

No comments:

Post a Comment