Thursday, October 20, 2011

Let Me Tell You Who I Am



This is one of the first poems I ever wrote. Not strong, but it gave me the bug!


Let Me Tell You Who I Really Am


Compassionate and headstrong,
I can spit nails at you with a quick glance.

But, I soften at a gentle voice, a touch.
Responsive I am, ever listening.

I venture into unforeseen jungles,
take risks that involve juggling and tightropes.

Lightening strikes with electricity,
but my veins are filled with tenderness.

My talent to engage and understand
often overwhelm me. Trust me on this.

If I shut down, it's not that I don't care.
Empathy comes in many different forms.

Other times, I just choose to let go,
fall off the ladder into cool, blue-green water,

swimming from sharks, sea lions, and sting rays.
Follow me, and I will in turn hold on to your wings.

We shall fly off cliffs and soar through blustery clouds;
together we shall move mountains, and conquer injustices,

face callous cruelties as one united front.
I will show you how I can overcome obstacles

with alabaster promises, the keeper of secrets,
the innocent whose trust you can depend.

Let me tell you who I am. Let me show you who I am,
for those who do not comprehend, give up, or turn away.



****Disclaimer: This is the first poem I ever wrote in April, 2007****

No comments:

Post a Comment